r2p is an exciting global technology company providing solutions for the public transport sector, combining the flexibility and creativity of a small company with the reach and stability of a large organization. In the UK we develop a fully featured and successful real-time public transport information system involving everything from tracking public transport vehicles to distributing information via web applications, mobile apps and big data reports.
We are looking for an experienced Linux Support Engineer to provide 2nd/3rd level support for our real time passenger information systems. This role offers an extremely varied working day where you will be exposed to different technologies and different areas of the system.
Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- Proactively monitoring our real-time system to identify issues early.
- Using Linux command line to investigate, troubleshoot and resolve faults.
- Flashing embedded units with our tracking software
- Analysing log and configuration files
- Composing SQL queries
- Creating Linux scripts to automate tasks.
- Working with Linux system tools (e.g. cron, logrotate, etc)
- Working with our helpdesk ticket systems to ensure tickets are quickly resolved.
- Assisting with software testing
- Directly engaging with our customers to answer queries and provide support.
- Experience supporting software products built using LAMP stack (Linux/Unix, Apache, MySQL and PHP).
- Experience with Linux command line and Linux system tools like cron and web server
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills with a strong customer focus.
- You can write SQL statements from scratch.
- You can proactively investigate and resolve system faults
- Experience in ITIL methodology like Incident, Problem, and change management etc
- You understand Apache configuration files and have knowledge and experience of Apache Web server
- You have worked with Jira, Confluence and GIT
- You have knowledge of network technologies (e.g. routers/firewalls etc). Experience in configuring Routers & Switches would be advantageous.
- Experience with System monitoring solutions such as Nagios or similar
- Knowledge of or exposure to MongoDB or MariaDB
- A graduate degree or equivalent professional qualification in a relevant discipline would be advantageous but not essential.
- Casual dress
- Company pension
- Flexible schedule
- On-site parking
- Sick pay
- Work from home
Please send your resume along with a one-page cover letter, which should include relevant interest in the role applied for, name, address and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org